I love using my framing nailer. I’ve never fired a real gun and have no desire to do so, but I would have to think the sensation is about the same. The end result of using a nail gun is much more rewarding than what comes out of most hand gun use.
My goal was to have the shed under roof before the rain forecasted for end of week. Thanks to Covid-19 I’m tackling this project solo. I ordered most of my materials from Lowe’s and paid for their delivery. It took 10 days to get it and even though they sent me an email stating it would be delivered on Monday, April 20 between 8a-8p if I had not called to get a shorter window I would not have gotten the items at all. Apparently there was a breakdown between the online order system and delivering store, Ridge Avenue Lowe’s. They got that fixed and gave me a window between 11a and 3p. They arrived close to 3 and failed to deliver the full order. Missing were all the trim pieces, so at least that didn’t stop me from getting underway. I’ve had the worst luck with the Ridge Avenue home improvement stores (Lowe’s and Home Depot). I asked for a refund on the missing items and will pick up from Home Depot Western Hills where I’ve had great experiences.
I decided to use pressure treated 2x4x8s for the floor joist. This was not spelled out in the plans, but I thought given they are located near ground that would extend life of shed floor. I actually picked these up over the weekend from Home Depot, along with the 4’x8′ OSB board needed for the roof, which I had them cut to size. I knew I would struggle cutting a board that size by myself and it wouldn’t fit in my car uncut.
The floor called for seven boards 45″. I set the fence on my miter table to that length, which allowed me to measure once to cut .
I don’t remember what I was working on, but I shot a 16 gauge nail into my knuckle (not deep, fortunately) while holding two pieces of wood to form a corner. To prevent that from happening again I bought two Bessey angle clamps. I hadn’t used them in over a year, but they were very handy for this project. Making sure my floor is square is key and I was spot on, corner to corner, an early victory.
I also decided to strap the floor with pressure treated 2x6s (3), so that I could set the shed on three, pressure treated 4x4s beams. I ordered a 12′ and cut it to size. This was a complete departure from the plans, but I did that to aid in my ability to move it. I nailed the 2x6s to the 2×4 frame, but used SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws, 1/4 x 3″, that I had leftover from when the City made me strap floor joist that had been cut for the original cast iron pipes to bolt the beams to the floor, nine total. I also departed from the plans and doubled up the floor panel, only because for two years I’ve had this piece of 4×8, 1/2″ OSB board that my cousin Terry gave me, but never could put to use. I wanted it gone, so doubled the floor. All of this work was done in about four hours, floor done day 1.
Day 2 was all about the walls. Definitely probably a two-person job, but thanks to some clamps I was able to get them up by myself.
This was the easy part. Next on tap are the roof rafters, which means mastering the bird’s mouth cut, something I’ve never done. I don’t have a tool to measure degrees, although degree markings are on a carpenter’s square which I do have. I just don’t know how to do it. At this point the plans are working well, easy to follow, but they could have taken a lesson out of the Marion Kent How To Create a Material’s List text book. When my father gave me my material list for our framing projects in the house I had to get various lengths. He maximized cuts from boards, so material waste was minimal. Plans Design listed all 8′ lengths for the 2x4s. Massive waste is occurring. I actually plan to return my roof joist 8’ers and buy 10’ers for the as I could get two from one board. Home Depot would cut them in half for me, need 57″, so easy to get home.