The Magnolia Market sign that was my “sign” to move forward with purchasing my house has finally been removed from its box and hung on the wall of my completed master bedroom. Yes you can stand and applaud. Unfortunately the Silos doesn’t carry the sign anymore, so no link if you were interested in purchasing.
After completing my Pinterest dresser project and putting the trim up around the small storage does I became obsessed with putting the trim up around the rest of the room. Amazingly most of it was on the same two pallets in the basement and as with the door trim it, for the most part, just needed Murphy Oil Soap wipe down and the Howard’s Feed and Wax. There were a few pieces that I felt needed the Restore-A-Finish product, but I managed to knock the can over and wasted almost all of it. Not wanting to run to a store, I started using the end of a pint of Minwax, Early American, stain I had bought for the kitchen floor. I used steel wool, in the same fashion as the Restore-A-Finish. It worked as well and maybe even better. Every original piece was numbered, so putting them back in the right place was no problem.
The only challenge to the floor moulding was one section in the front dormer. All of the electrical outlets in the house were original cut into the moulding. That is no longer to code, so I knew those sections would be problematic. Over a year ago, I stumbled across a YouTube segment from This Old House that showed how to patch wood trim. I had recessed that in the Rolodex in my brain, knowing that I’d need to put that knowledge to use. Amazingly my Master bedroom only had one outlet in it. Per today’s code I now have 12. Using the video as my guide, I did a pretty darn good job with the patch. Their moulding was painted, so they were able to hide the patch completely. I didn’t have that luxury, but I still think it’s pretty negligible.
With the floor complete I turned my sites on the windows. I sent the front dormer window as a tease on the last blog. It was the easiest of the 5 to restore. My new window seals are thicker than the originals, so I knew I would need to cut the bottom off every vertical piece throughout the house. Again, I thought I’d need to hire my finish carpenter, Tom, to do this for me, but my confidence and comfort level for using my miter and table saws has soared.
From the front window, I moved onto the side trio of windows. The two smaller windows proved to be a challenge because the replacement windows had a gap greater than the window stop trim. I always felt that these windows were ordered too small. It’s hard to describe and show in pictures, but I needed to close the gap on the sides of the small windows and to do it I took an old door jamb to give me the “L” shape I needed to lay on top of the existing house framing. To date this is my finest table saw work.
With that obstacle conquered the rest was easy. Clean, Wax, trim a little of the bottom and nail in place.
The rear dormer window I intentionally saved for last. Even my window installer was perplexed with how the trim would go back around this window. During demo this window completely fell out and apparently we tore out, or it never existed, the framing. With the drywall install there was no exposed framing to nail into, just the edge of the drywall. To make matters even more complicated the drywall came about 1/2″ more at the bottom. I basically needed to frame out the window before I could frame it with the original moulding.
I devised a plan in my mind that involved using the original moulding from the trio of windows in the bathroom that mirrored the trio in the bedroom. I saved this window for last because I had to make sure the bathroom wood would not be needed to correct a cut mistake in the bedroom. Since that install went flawlessly, I was ready to put plan into action. The two vertical pieces that went around the large window of the trio was slightly wider than the moulding. I created the perfect 1/4-1/2″ reveal and it was thick enough that it gave me something for the window stop trim to nail to. Since the bottom drywall protruded out further than the top, I used shims to build out the top.
With the build out complete I was able to proceed with installing the seal and apron. The seal had to be in place before I could install the vertical pieces. I put the top piece on first, but when I went to dry fit the first vertical piece I discovered the piece was too short. The replacement window was longer than the original. The first window installer put in the new framing for this window and he must have made the opening larger than the original.
I had plenty of extra door frame moulding left, but I had already cleaned up the original and I was only a couple of inches short on each side, so I decided to splice two pieces together using scrap pieces for the built-in dresser. I’ve learned to throw nothing away. The trim around the dresser was slightly lighter than the window around the window, but I didn’t care. I was impressed with my thought process and splicing technique. Most people will never see it anyway given it leads to a private area of my home.
With the patched moulding installed, my master was complete. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to add a light on the outside of the closet. In the two weeks of working to the moulding, Mr. McGhee made that happen. I took the original light fixture from the 1st hall, which matched the ones already in the bedroom, but installed an LED Edison bulb to keep the heat discharge from impacting the paint. I also bought a rug and for my seating area from Overstock.com. It fits in perfectly and is made from recycled jeans and jute. I bought a 9×12, same fabric, different color and design for under my bed, but it’s on back order.
Check out these before and afters, followed by a video tour. I have truly created an oasis. I’m writing this blog while listening to vinyl jazz LPs. LOVING EVERY MOMENT!